Drama at JASSPA is a great combination of drama technique and preparation for performance. Designed to challenge, inspire and develop all round performing skills, the environment is stimulating, encouraging and promotes pupil confidence and creativity. Lessons are educational but also fun and lively!
Our teachers bring a wealth of experience not only as teachers but also as performers, writers and directors. If your child stays with us for a number of years they should expect to benefit from working with a variety of tutors, each of whom offer their own particular specialisms whilst following a general class format.
Whilst JASSPA Drama does not have a rigid curriculum all classes are workshop in style and encourage focus, discipline and team work through:
- Improvisation—fostering spontaneity, self-confidence and group awareness.
- Theatre styles — eg. Physical Theatre, Mask work, Melodrama
- Performance techniques — vocal work, movement skills and characterisation.
- Creating a piece for a show.
- Script writing and interpretation for senior classes.
- Infant classes - exploring drama through a range of stories and drama games.
No previous experience is required to join JASSPA’s Drama classes. Pupils are grouped primarily according to age (up to a two year age band for Juniors and a three year age band for Seniors) and pupil assessment continues throughout the year. In addition we offer ADVANCED DRAMA - a challenging class for our oldest pupils. Entry to this class is by invitation.
Junior, Senior and Advanced Drama classes perform once a year in our annual Dance and Drama Shows. Preparation for this begins approximately 10 weeks before the performance date and gives a fantastic focus to the year. All JASSPA Shows take place in purpose built venues on site.
Infant Drama classes have termly open days where parents are invited to watch their child’s class on the last Saturday of each term. This is an opportunity for your child to show you the journey they take each week in Drama at JASSPA. Be prepared to join in and have some fun with your child at Open Day!
Uniform – All Drama pupils are expected to arrive at class dressed appropriately, as follows:
- Infants and Juniors: JASSPA t-shirt + and comfortable bottoms – no skirts.
(T-shirts are available to buy from reception and cost £10 )
- Seniors and Advanced: own choice of t-shirt, comfortable bottoms + optional JASSPA sweatshirt – no skirts.
What am I committing to if I sign up for Drama classes? To help us provide the best quality classes we ask all parents to be aware of the commitment required to take a class which balances a programme of technique and performance skills:
- A commitment for one academic year of three terms – autumn, spring & summer. This includes agreeing to pay the full fee for three terms and for your child to attend regularly.
- Written notice to stop lessons at the end of an academic year by the first day of the summer term. We then return your deposit to you.
- Exception 1: Year 11 and 13 pupils may want to stop Dance classes during the summer term due to public examinations. If this is the case, please inform us in writing at the start of the spring term and fees will not be liable for the summer term.
- Exception 2: We encourage Under 7’s in infant classes to commit to a yearlong course but understand this age group can change its mind more readily. For U7’s a notice period of half a term to be given in writing.