James Allen’s Saturday School for the Performing Arts was started at James Allen’s Girls School (JAGS) in 1993. The idea was to create an opportunity for young people to experience and explore specialist dance, drama and music beyond the school curriculum giving them the chance to develop self-expression, confidence and skills in a non-competitive environment. From the beginning, classes have led to fabulous performances enjoyed by friends and family. In 2009 we launched South London Youth Orchestra – intensive orchestral experiences during the school holidays.
At JASSPA, all disciplines are taught by experienced practitioners with a passion for teaching. The environment is both creative and supportive, allowing all pupils to take their performing to the next level.
Classes take place on Saturdays from 8.30am – 4pm during term time. Our pupils come from over 80 schools and they choose their own personal combination of activities from a very broad curriculum: (highlights below show links to subject page, or subdivision of subject page)
- Dance – group classes for 5-18yrs
- Drama – group classes for 5-18yrs
- Instrumental and Vocal Tuition – one to one lessons for 6-18yrs
- Music Theory - group classes and one-to-one tuition for instrumentalists Grade 4+
- Composition – one to one lessons for pupils taking GCSE or A level music, or those really passionate about learning to structure composition – all styles covered including jazz and improvisation.
- Choir – a group class for 6-11yrs
- SLYO – we are also the home of South London Youth Orchestra